- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups ground almonds
- 6 tablespoons seedless raspberry jam
- 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, cocoa, salt and spices; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in almonds. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. round or cookie cutter. From the center of half the cookies, cut out a 1-1/2-in. shape.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Spread bottom of each solid cookie with 1/2 teaspoon jam. Sprinkle cutout cookies with confectioners’ sugar; carefully place over jam.
1 cookie: 161 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 82mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.